Elections – Democracy in Action
This year’s Presidential Election will be November 6. While we may be tired of campaign slogans, commercials, and phone calls, it is essential that we teach about the very foundation of our democracy. Teaching social studies and civic responsibility is a critical responsibility for all teachers.
The primary purpose of social studies is to help young people make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world.
Teaching about the election supports Best Practice Instruction. It is timely, relevant, and a real life connection.
Below are two videos and an extensive list of resources for teaching about the Election in the classroom.
L.O.V.E – Let One Voice Emerge: The Music Video http://www.lovevoting.org/
Sesame Street: Election Day
- New York Times: The Learning Network – Election 2012 Teaching Ideas and Resources
- New York Times: The Learning Network – Election Unit
- New York Times: The Learning Network – Free Websites for Teaching the Election
- Pinterest Election Board
- My Voice: National Student Mock Election
- Youth Leadership Initiative Mock Election
- Curriculum Guide: Running a Mock Student Election at Your School
- Pearson 2012 Teacher Election Resource Center
- Library of Congress: Elections the American Way
- Federal Resources for Educational Excellence
- C-Span Classroom (Free. Registration required.)
- National Writing Project: Teaching Resources for the Presidential Election
- USA.Gov – Learn about Elections and Voting
- Education World: Election Web Resources
- Using Children’s Books to Teach about the Election
- PBS Kids: The Democracy Project
- PBS: Election 2012
- Time for Kids
- Washington State Elections and Voting (works for all states)
- Hotchalk Election Lesson Plans
- e-School News: 7 free resources for teaching about the election
- Center for Action Civics Lessons and Resources
- Project SED: Understanding Presidential Elections
- Disney Educational Productions: The Electoral College video
- Read, Write, Think Lesson Plan November 6 is Election Day
Remember to VOTE!